The Complete Wall Safe Installation Guide: Where, How and Why
Looking to buy a wall safe and need some advice on where to put it, what exactly to buy and how to get your safe installed? All About Safes offer their expert opinions and insight into the world of wall safe installation.
Here are some statistics that might keep you up at night:
- Hundreds of thousands of homes are broken into annually.
- This figure is rising. The occurrence of burglaries is up over 30%.
- 8 in 10 people don’t trust the police to recover anything stolen from their home.
- That is actually an overestimation. Roughly 5% of stolen goods are recovered.
- Businesses don’t fare much better as 50% will be burgled in their time of operation.
Property and valuable security is of the utmost importance. With homes and businesses being burglarized more than ever — coupled with the inability of police to solve these crimes — keeping assets and possessions secure has become a matter of personal responsibility.
There are numerous ways you can achieve better security, from the installation of CCTV cameras to procurement of alarm systems. However, while these options offer deterrence factors, they don’t actually lockdown the valuables thieves are looking to steal. Once the enemy is in the camp, so to speak, how do you stop them from making off with your business assets, jewellery, phones, car keys, etc?
How do you stop burglars taking your possessions, never to be seen again?
Wall safes are a powerful tool in the fight against theft of valuable possessions. In this blog, we’ll look at everything you need to know about this specialist safe unit, and how you can use it to keep your belongings out of criminal hands.
What Is a Wall Safe?
A wall safe functions in the same way as a normal home or commercial safe.
It often has one opening and locking door mechanism, is available in a variety of sizes with different kinds of security features — from combination locks to state-of-the-art digital entry systems — and can be used to store a variety of goods and valuables.
However, where a wall safe differs from your standard safe is that it is designed to fit into spaces within the walls of your property. These are usually locations specifically built into the structure of your home or business property.
Why Buy a Wall Safe?
A wall safe offers a couple of security advantages that a traditional safe does not. These features combined are what make a wall safe perhaps one of the most effective methods of securing your valuable assets from thieves.
- Discrete and Concealed — A wall safe is often a hidden safe. The purpose of wall safe installation is usually to conceal the unit behind an object, such as a painting or within a cupboard. By doing so, you make it hard to find. This adds a greater level of protection, as thieves will need to know it exists in order to actually steal items from it.
Near Impossible to Remove — Wall safes come with bolts and joists that allow them to snuggly fit into the space created for them. Once in place, they are sealed tightly. In order to remove a home safe, you must painstakingly remove all these connective elements. In short, you cannot just pick up and move a wall safe, which means a thief cannot either.
Where Should You Put Your Wall Safe?
For a wall safe to offer the enhanced security that it does, it needs to be affixed to your property in the correct manner. This means designing and constructing a space within your home or business to house the unit. You basically have three options here:
- For shallow safes, you can remove plasterboard and fix your wall safe to the space created.
- For deeper safes, you may want to get in a builder or contractor to adapt the brickwork of your home, enabling you to fix the safe correctly into the wall space.
- If you don’t want to adapt your walls in any way, you can create a faux wall. This is often easier in small alcove areas, but can be done across entire wall spaces.
How to Pick a Wall Safe?
What kind of wall safe you need very much depends on a few factors:
- How much space you have for your safe
- What you need to store within your safe
- What is your budget
- Whether you are a business or private property
- Where your safe is going to be installed
Think about each point carefully when deciding which safe to purchase. Buying the wrong wall safe will only create problems. You don’t want to buy a unit that turns out to be too small, or too big, to fit into the space you have.
You’ll also want to think about personal use versus business use. A wall safe is a powerful security option in both circumstances. A business will likely need it to meet certain finance requirements and have specific security features, while a home safe buyer may be concerned with budget and ease of installation.
We would recommend before you start the process of purchase and wall safe installation to make a list of requirements your new unit must be able to meet. Then, while browsing options, consider each point on your list against the product you are viewing, until you find the perfect wall safe for you.
If you need help picking out the best wall safe for your business or home, our expert safe engineers can help. Contact us today to discuss your queries and concerns. It is our promise that we’ll only advise you on the right product. We’ll never try to sell you something you don’t need!
Wall Safe Installation: How to Do It
Wall safe installation must be carried out properly to be effective in terms of providing maximum security. This means the space must be assessed for proper sizing, the unit itself must fit correctly, and the installation should be carried out by an experienced safe engineer.
DIY jobs for wall safe installation are possible but not recommended. They can lead to damage to both property and safe, as well as leaving vulnerabilities in terms of fitting.
Remember, these are heavy items being fitted to the structure of your property. They are also being used to protect very valuable items. Experience, care and precision is required. If you’ve made the choice to invest in a wall safe, be sure to have the whole project completed to the highest possible standard.
When you buy a wall safe through All About Safes, installation comes standard. We’ll have our expert safe engineers attend your property as part of the delivery process and see to it that your new wall safe is installed correctly. When you buy from us, you can be safe in the knowledge that you are getting the very best installation service available!